Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Price of Being Nice

I love being nice to people. It really does pay off with just little gestures as simple as holding a door open for someone. I get a kick out of how appreciative people are when you hold a door, especially when they are still a couple of feet away. It leaves you with a warm and fuzzy feeling for at least 30 seconds. It's almost as if people are shocked that chivalry still exists, and practiced by a woman no less. I really love holding the door open for men. They always seem perplexed for a moment and then unnerved that a female (an unusually petite one at that) did the deed they think they should have done.
I also make it a point to clear my own table at restaurants and diners, smile and greet as many people I make eye contact with and so on. Though I must confess that while being nice pays in the form of good feelings sometimes there are those people out there who are not as appreciative of, nor do they deserve the goodwill gesture and turn the deed into intentions of murder; which brings me to my biggest pet peeve.

When I’m driving, I try to be as polite a driver as often as possible and almost always extend the right of way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.
Many times I have to negotiate with one of my multiple personalities on whether I should let someone else proceed and hold people up in back of me or just drive and let the waiting person be stuck forever in limbo until traffic clears. I would feel too guilty, so I almost always win the negotiation and the prize is indeed the warm & fuzzies, especially if they are courteous enough to acknowledge the deed with an enthusiastic nod or wave.

Every now and then there are those pedestrians that I’ll stop and wait for. Whenever I’m on the other side of that transaction and someone else stops and lets me cross, I’m grateful! I smile...wave… mouth a quick thank you, and then I speed up my pace to get out of their way quickly so they can move on.
Now it seems almost inevitable that when I am the driver and I extend that courtesy to pedestrians, they don’t do any of the above. They slowly meander about like constipated penguins in the desert with no tomorrow insite and then I’m left to feel terrible that I’ve held up the drivers in back of me. It’s then that find myself fist fighting my alter ego who wants to put the pedal to the floor and flatten the inconsiderate sloth. Road rage, you’ve gotta love it.

Speaking of road rage, I really hate it when someone pulls out in front of me. I’m usually pretty mild mannered, however, road rage always seems to get the better of me. I purchased some magnetic company signs for the doors of my car. I would love to use them but after one experience of road rage which entailed a lot of obnoxious honking, screaming and yelling and a couple of obscene hand signals (which are not covered in your DMV driver’s handbook by the way), I decided it’s probably not the best promotion for myself or my company. The driver I had just inflicted all of that hostility on, could have been my future client!

The other day my husband invited a friend from work over for dinner whom had never been to our city. I was driving home from work to meet them when all of a sudden a guy in a huge truck shot out in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes. As I did this he proceeded to come to a crawl instead of correcting his bad move by speeding up so I wouldn’t hit him. I laid on my horn like a lunatic and flailed my arms about. After a few minutes I gained my composure and while the driver of the truck drove ahead of me repeatedly looking back in his rearview mirror, I started to feel paranoid and began to pray that it wasn’t our dinner guest on his way to our house.
I find it so much easier to be nice and feel good about it for a few seconds after, than to be rude and feel guilty for hours. Weeks in my case! :0)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea i know what u mean, thats why I really like the show seinfeld and curb your enthusiasm, becuase they have to do with situations like this.

I know, I know...you wish you were me=] said...

I hate this to!

Jacob said...

So, was this your first post? Back in the day when you didn't know you were supposed to respond to ev1's comment?

Quit teaching me that texting crap!!!

Jacob said...

BTW, I have to be careful about making eye contact with people. They always want to have sex with me. Men, women, some animals. Doesn't seem to matter. I am so tired.

oakleyses said...

nike free uk, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, kate spade, ray ban uk, nike roshe run uk, new balance, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors outlet online, north face, uggs outlet, replica handbags, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, burberry outlet, hogan outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, sac hermes, polo lacoste, nike tn, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors outlet online, nike air force, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, nike air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, lululemon canada, nike air max uk, nike air max uk, coach outlet, north face uk, mulberry uk

oakleyses said...

iphone 6s cases, chi flat iron, ipad cases, north face outlet, hollister, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, nike air max, north face outlet, louboutin, baseball bats, insanity workout, iphone 6 plus cases, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, asics running shoes, ferragamo shoes, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, p90x workout, nike roshe run, babyliss, timberland boots, nfl jerseys, iphone cases, lululemon, iphone 5s cases, ghd hair, iphone 6 cases, mont blanc pens, longchamp uk, hollister clothing, beats by dre, reebok outlet, instyler, s6 case, oakley, bottega veneta, hermes belt, soccer shoes, herve leger, jimmy choo outlet, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, new balance shoes, nike trainers uk, iphone 6s plus cases, nike huaraches

oakleyses said...

canada goose outlet, canada goose, swarovski crystal, canada goose, canada goose, karen millen uk, ray ban, coach outlet, wedding dresses, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, swarovski, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, juicy couture outlet, moncler, marc jacobs, barbour, gucci, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, toms shoes, links of london, supra shoes, pandora charms, doudoune moncler, hollister, canada goose outlet, ugg, converse, replica watches, pandora jewelry, pandora uk, ugg uk, barbour uk, moncler uk, moncler outlet, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, vans, canada goose uk, thomas sabo, canada goose jackets, nike air max, converse outlet